Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Yoga for Physical Therapy

I started practicing yoga again last week. My first yoga instructor specializes in gentle, therapeutic yoga and is developing a regimen for my specific needs.

The first class consisted of discussing my limitations and abilities. We spent about 30 minutes talking as she took notes. After that, she got out the mats and we started.

We worked on the legs and hips to start with by limbering them up with toe stretches and lifts. After 20 minutes or so we did about 10 minutes with my hands.

That was enough and I told her I had to quit. I should have stopped earlier but I have always been a type A and push myself beyond the limits so I was weak and dizzy. She finished up the exercise with a 10 minutes healing meditation that helped me to once again ground myself.

We discussed future goals and how I need to back off pushing myself to the point of pain and damage and will have shorter sessions from now on. I am not certain if I am going to go weekly or every other week. I think that this combined with my rolfing will add more range of movement and better balance for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment