Friday, May 7, 2010

MSA in person support group in Tampa Bay area

Well, here I am. I have never attended any type of support group or therapy group and here I am volunteering to establish one in the Greater Tampa Bay Area.

Someone on the Shy-Drager.org online support group asked if there was one somewhere near Tampa and I responded that there wasn’t one and asked the question if there were others nearby who would be interested in such a group. So far there are 5 of us interested.

I asked my therapist today what does one do in such a group? How should I proceed? He suggested that a guest speaker like my neurologist could be invited to speak and answer questions – something that all of us have are lots of questions. I also suggested my friend, the former Chair of the Department of Neurology at the USF College of Medicine.

I think my first step will be to figure out a day of the week and a time of day that works out best for everyone. Then I will find a location that is easy to find and reach for almost everyone. Most folks will have to travel in order to have the location somewhat centralized since most live in all directions outside of Tampa and Hillsborough County. Possibly the University will allow us to use a room in the neurology department and even, perhaps, residents in neurology can attend for part of the time to learn first-hand what MSA is and what it looks like in all it’s myriad forms.

I have formed a group in my email for this support group and the moderator of the Shy-Drager group will post our meeting dates on the calendar as well as reminders so everyone will know there is now a group in Tampa.

I am cautiously optimistic about the group. I just hope that people follow through and come to the meetings, especially if I am able to have them at the College of Medicine.

1 comment:

  1. You can find a lot of how-to's on starting and running groups on the NJ Self Help Group Clearinghouse's website at http://www.njgroups.org
    - Barbara White, NJ

    ReplyDelete