Saturday, May 8, 2010

Overdoing it

Yesterday, I was feeling really good and walking better than I have in months so I decided to go to the grocery and load up. I took in 4 reusable bags and hopped on the motorized scooter cart. I bought 8 cans of dogfood, milk, 2 big bags of apples, and 5 boxes of cookies and crackers for my husband, and a variety of other stuff. I also stopped and purchased 2 cases of water with 24 bottles in each case. I had to carry these out of the store where I purchased them. When I got home he was busy building a mesh shelter for our dog so I decided to carry everything in by myself. BIG MISTAKE.

Last night I had muscle cramps from top to toe and had to take a muscle relaxant in order to sleep. When I woke up this morning my gait was once again compromised. I was dizzy and my legs felt leaden and did not want to pick up my feet.

I should know by now that I need to ask for help. After all, it is listed in my Things MSA has taught me blog.

I know from past experience that I should not push my body like that. Moderate exercise and carrying objects are good for me, but heavy lifting and walking while carrying heavy objects sets me back and makes me look at myself somewhat critically. I need to be careful with this body; it is the only one I have right now and I am not yet ready to trade it in for a new model.

So, advice to others with MSA type diseases, do not overdo it. Respect your limits and listen to what your body tells you. Ignore the little bird in the mind that says that, of course you can do this now because you used to be able to. This is advice aimed at me. I just need to follow my own advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment