Tuesday, September 22, 2009

When the therapist is away?

The last couple of weeks have been very interesting (euphemism) while my therapist was out of the country presenting a program in China. It seems that everything that could go wrong, did.

First, my hair started falling out in clumps as if I had had chemotherapy so I now have several nickel-sized bald places on top of my head. I emailed my therapist a wild note that my hair-dresser had suggested a wig and that ?I do not WANT a wig, I want my HAIR?.

Next came an acceleration of MSA symptoms. My muscle weakness grew worse, balance grew worse, vision problems increased, back pain became radically worse, and hips and knees started hurting more intensely. I started using a wedge pillow to raise my head and instead of snoring loudly all night, I would suddenly and very LOUDLY roar out a snore that freaked out the cat and awakened my husband, and stridor became so loud that I woke myself up.

Then, part of a filling came out and I had to go to the dentist to get it drilled out and refilled. Always my favorite past-time!

To top it all off, I woke up one night to the sound of huck, huck, huck and jumped (well, inched) out of bed to try to catch the cat before she left the hairball on the carpet. Alas, I was too late, and, since I did not have my glasses on and the room was dark, I stepped in it. Huck, huck, huck, YUCK!

I did meet with my psychiatrist each week while my therapist was gone. He is a psychoanalyst, mostly, and provided me with 2 really good sessions. This gave me plenty of fodder for my first visit back with my therapist today.

Despite all of this, I met with the finance committee for the Friends of the Library Group and provided valuable information. I had my Lunch Bunch outing and had a great time. I read several good books and started reading up on the topic of quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, consciousness and the nature of reality. I met with an old friend I had known as a library customer for many years and discussed the theory of consciousness and quantum theory at Panera Breads. So, I was a busy little beaver while my therapist was away.

No comments:

Post a Comment