Sunday, August 23, 2009

What is our purpose for being alive?

I realize this a very deep philosophical question and everyone has his or her own private opinion. Mine, however, probably overlaps with most folks.

I believe first of all, we must “do no harm”. We should neither verbally nor physically abuse and living creature. All of us deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. I feel we should greet everyone we meet or pass by with a smile. Our manner should be welcoming. Now, I realize, that some people have no respect for anyone and these folks need to be watched carefully – but that does not mean they can be abused physically. I have mixed emotions about some criminals and some crimes are so heinous that the perpetrators need to be dealt with firmly and never be allowed to walk out freely into society. This would eliminate the opportunity for them to do the same thing to someone else. Child sexual predators and abusers along with rapists are two such criminals that have lost my ability to think of them with respect. Those who prey on the elderly and who commit premeditated murder are another couple of categories of criminals who should not ever be allowed back in society.

Regarding greeting others with a smile and an open face, I feel that many arguments between people could be avoided if everyone followed that precept. I used to tell my staff at the library to “put steak in your voice”. That is a dog training term and works well with many animals in addition to dogs and people. By this, I mean, speak softly and warmly, always be open to listen to someone else’s story. After all, they would not be telling it if it was not important to them. Librarians are the bartenders for those who do not drink. We hear many stories of divorce, children on drugs, a sick spouse, being evicted from their apartment or losing their job. When someone would come into the library already angry and in a bad mood, they could frequently be diverted by a smile and a “how can I help you?”. It is always easier to avoid a fight than to try to win one. Compromising with others also goes a long way toward soothing tempers.

Serving others is also part of my belief system. Providing love and support to those in need is a high priority. Those caregivers on the Shy-Drager support site for MSA sufferers and caregivers know what I am speaking of. So many have selflessly taken care of sick loved ones, and sometimes sick relatives they did not get along with or care about but they still provide the loving care that is needed. These caregivers KNOW what LIVING is. Living is not only having fun, laughing, and seeing friends, it is also about caring for others while maintaining a sense of humor and treating the sick with respect and dignity. These caregivers deserve our profound thanks for the work they do. I believe it is harder to be a caregiver than it is to be a patient. Bless them all for their dedication to serve.

4 comments:

  1. It is a profound but important question. My Pastor asked us the same question this morning. As a Christian I believe my purpose for being alive was given to me by God and much as you said - to serve, to love others, to treat each person with dignity. Maybe if we all thought of ourselves as dying (which we all are) we would quit wasting so much time on the unimportant stuff (keeping up with the Jones) and just love and care for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my cat of 16 years died last october, the vet said he had cancer and was too far gone to save so my husband and i had to make the decision to have him put to sleep.we had another cat who was 16 this year also and had blood tests for any problems and all was ok. last week he took a turn for the worse and we discovered he had been poisoned by anti freeze. he got over that but the damage caused by the poisoning had caused his kidneys to fail. we had to have him put to sleep . i feel crap. i know we are all going to die one day yes that is part of life i know and i know that my cats were loved by all of our family so very much. i am finding it hard to believe in anything right now

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Get Your Ex Back, You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete